1. Please tell us about who you are and what you do.
Hi, my name is Rosie and I am the owner of The Magic Cottage Transylvania and Rosie’s Retreat, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India. I have been renovating The Magic Cottage, just outside Praid in Harghita County, since I bought it in an enlightened moment of madness on the Internet from my bedroom in Rajasthan.
2. Share your backstory with us. How did your business or organisation come about and what was it that switched you on to this area in the first place?
I had never been to Romania and was also unaware that my beautiful traditional village is completely Hungarian.The old cottage had been abandoned for nearly 40 years and has been a major undertaking. It is now a beautiful little Airbnb suitable for a couple or a solo traveller. I am an Airbnb Superhost 18 times in a row.
3. What do you think or hope the future has in store for you and your business? Where do you see yourself or your organisation five years from now?
I hope to completely finish the renovation this year, making the cottage available to more guests to enjoy.
4. How has lockdown been for you and for your business and what have you done that has helped you personally and professionally?
During the lockdown, I completely renovated the garden which is now a peaceful, flower filled oasis, a mixture of wilderness and herbaceous borders. The kitchen was also updated.
5. What’s your take on Bucharest and Romania. What are the highs and the lows in your opinion?
I am very much in love with this fascinating country and particularly Transylvania. The people have shown me such kindness and been so helpful that I have never felt like a ‘foreigner’. The surrounding countryside is magnificent and awe inspiring with such an abundance of wildlife and wildflowers.
6. What is your must do/must visit/favorite thing to do or show off to visitors here in Bucharest and Romania at large?
I like to take guests up to the villages of Atid and Atia which have the feeling of being lost in time and the views are just stunning.
7. What is your number 1 recommendation now for a book/film/series/app/ or gadget?
I love all Patrick Leigh Fermor’s books, some of which relate a part of his journey from London to Constantinople on foot, through Transylvania.At the moment I am reading Joan Didion’s ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’.
8. If you could eat in any restaurant in all of Romania and have dinner with anyone in the world (not a husband/wife/relative) which restaurant would that be and with which person?
I could have dinner with anyone in Transylvania it would be Patrick Leigh Fermor somewhere in the countryside with a beautiful view.
9. Romania in one word?
My Romania in one word is ‘Magic’.